Sony KDF-60XS955 60-Inch HD-Ready LCD Projection Television
- Vivid, high-definition, slim-chassis LCD projection television with 60-inch screen and ATSC (HDTV) tuner; 66.4 x 39.6 x 20.2 inches (W x H x D)
- Lightweight design with bright, high-contrast screen; CableCARD compatibility removes the need for a separate digital cable box
- 3.28 million dots resolution for stunning detail and clarity; fixed-pixel display and constant light prevent image flicker
- Live Color emphasizes blues and greens without affecting reds for a more natural, vivid picture
- 5 watts per channel x 2 stereo sound and built-in 20-watt subwoofer for rich, lifelike sound; Dolby Virtual Surround simulates surround sound
Sony KDF-60XS955 60-Inch HD-Ready LCD Projection Television
Sony’s “XS-Series” Grand Wega TVs offer enhanced picture, sound, and user controls for a richer, more cinematic viewing experience. The 60″ KDF-60XS955 includes the “Live Color” color enhancement function, which improves blues and greens for more natural overall color without affecting reds and skin tones. The Advanced Menu lets videophiles easily make ultra-precise picture adjustments that are usually buried in restricted-access “service menus”. The KDF-60XS955 is your ticket to the digital TV revolution – it receives over-the-air and cable High-Definition TV signals with no separate set-top box required. Each of the TV’s three LCD image panels has over one million densely packed pixels, to create pictures that are incredibly smooth and flicker-free. XS-series Grand Wegas step up to adjustable Digital Reality Creation circuitry to upconvert all of your standard video signals to near-HD quality! You can fine-tune the amount of enhancement so that every signal gets a cleaner, smoother look. You get a total of 8 A/V inputs, including two HD-compatible component video inputs and two HDMI digital A/V inputs. (HDMI jacks are showing up on a growing number of high-performance DVD players, set-top boxes, and A/V receivers.) A Memory Stick slot lets you conveniently view digital photos in lifelike color and clarity, without turning on a PC! The KDF-60XS955 also delivers surprisingly potent sound, courtesy of Sony’s “S-Master” digital amplifier driving the built-in 5-speaker system. It’s great for when you don’t want to turn on your entire A/V system, but still want clear, dynamic sound.
Huge screen. Brilliant, lifelike image. Explosive sound. Yes, it’s Sony’s 60-inch KDF-60XS955 rear-projection LCD television, which is equipped to deliver standard and full-fledged HDTV reception right out of the box with its integrated NTSC and ATSC (HDTV) tuners. It also offers digital cable readiness with a CableCARD slot and the latest digital-video interface, HDMI. Weighing a mere 113 pounds and standing under 21 inches deep, the set also offers maximum image with minimal space investment.
The set’s 1,366 x 788 liquid-crystal display frees you from having to make convergence adjustments or having to worry about image burn-in. Instead you get incredible detail (more than 3 million pixels), high contrast, and even, corner-to-corner brightness from the set’s user-replaceable 132-watt UHP (ultra high pressure) lamp.
The screen features a wide, 16:9 aspect ratio to match the dimension of most movies and HDTV broadcasts, and the KDF-60XS955 offers compatibility with standard-definition 480i, enhanced-definition 480p, and high-definition 720p and 1080i signals.
Sony’s CineMotion 3:2 pulldown detection and reversal is a handy feature for watching progressive-scan movie programs in their native 24-frame format. Digital video mastering introduces a common distortion when adjusting 24 frames-per-second movies to 30 fps video; 3:2 pulldown digitally corrects this distortion, removing the redundant information to display a film-frame-accurate picture.
The set’s WEGA Engine system maximizes picture performance from any video source by minimizing the number of digital-to-analog conversion processes. This full digital processing engine includes Sony’s MID-X (Multi Image Driver), which maintains the integrity of a converted signal by minimizing image loss in the scaling process; and a proprietary optical engine, which employs a trio of Sony’s wide-XGA, high-resolution LCD panels, 1 for each of the RGB signals (resulting in a total of 3.28 million dots of resolution).
The optical engine also features a special 11-element lens system responsible for the lightweight, ultra-slim cabinet. The lens system bends the light path, creating an ultra-short focal point while maintaining high brightness. This proprietary system delivers vivid images from the center of the screen all the way to the edges.
This XS Series Grand WEGA television offers advanced menu functions that are typically found only in service menus: gamma correction (bright and dark balancing), black correction (enhances contrast), white balance (fine-tunes white intensity), detail enhancement (sharpens the picture), and clear white (emphasizes whites).
The set includes numerous other features.
- TwinView PIP (picture-in-picture) lets you view any 2 sources simultaneously, even at different image resolutions, while the built-in Memory Stick media slot offers ready display of both JPEG images and MPEG-1 video.
- A Memory Stick media slot (compatible with Memory Stick Pro and Memory Stick Duo media) grants convenient viewing of JPEG and MPEG-1 files. It can also display customized slide shows using MP3 files for background music.
- Authorized CableCARD ability means the set will receive digital cable television systems services directly from the cable operator without requiring a bulky, external cable box.
- Live Color is an innovative circuit that emphasizes blues and greens without affecting reds for a more natural, vivid picture. Choose from 3 enhancement levels (high, medium, low) or “off.”
- Sony’s exclusive S-Master 1-bit digital amplifier produces 5 watts per channel (x 2), pumping an additional 20 watts into a built-in subwoofer for rich, full-bodied sound from movies and music.
HDMI (High-Definition Multimedia Interface) is a lossless, uncompressed, all-digital audio/video interface to link the set with any audio/video source (such as a set-top box, DVD player, or AV receiver).
What’s in the Box
TV, remote control, remote batteries, a user’s manual, and warranty/registration information.